Thinking of meat pie,
Couldn’t decide how to make,
Tried to be healthy.
Topped with fried onion,
Beef-flavored veggie pot pie,
Makes good comfort food.
- Line an oil-sprayed pie plate with a 9” pie crust either pre-made or homemade. Note: I stretched out my dough a bit to fit the oval glass dish I used.
Easy homemade single pie crust: 1 cup flour, intermittently pour and stir in ¼ cup oil; continue stirring while adding ¼ cup water until dough clings together. Knead lightly and roll out. (from The Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown)
- Sauté 1 sliced onion and 3 minced garlic.
- Add 2 chopped carrots, 4 cubed potatoes, and 1 cup beef broth. Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add 1 cup cubed zucchini and 2 cups sliced mushrooms. Add ½ cup beef broth. Simmer on medium- low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 10 oz. frozen peas, ¼ cup raisins, and ¼ cup beef broth. Lightly sprinkle with Tamari sauce; simmer for 4 minutes on low heat.
- Add ¼ lb. cooked ground beef; turn off after meat is heated through with vegetable mixture.
- Pour beef and vegetable mixture in pie plate. (If any extra filling, use it the next day to make fried rice; add mung bean sprouts and chopped scallions and scrambled or fried egg.)
- Fully cover top with fried onion pieces; I used the Trader Joe’s brand. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Put dish in preheated oven set at 350 degrees F. Take out after 18 minutes. Let it set for 5-10 minutes, depending how patient you are.